Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Baby, Never Baby

Thought I'd post some old short stories from time to time. Here's one from a couple years ago:

Not Baby, Never Baby

Will you walk with me to the ocean? I know it's crazy, Darling, but us together... I can imagine it. Heading west like the gold rush wagons. We'll trudge along through these mountains and wind our way through the deserts 'til we feel the cool Pacific on our faces, your dark hair swirling in the breeze like flamenco dancers.

Tell me you don't need this adventure and I'll stop, but I know you, and I know you need this too. We both need to quit our jobs and hit the road. Walk and walk and walk. Sleep under the stars. Racing the cars along the highway. Wait, no not racing, taking our time because we don't want to be a part of this anymore. We need to take ourselves apart to realize why we don't need to be a part...

Material...

I want to feel the waves again, Sweetie. Tangible and cool. The taste of salt. The bob and weave flowing in and out. We could buy long boards and wet suits.

Oh yeah you know you love it! I see the flash in your eyes and smile. That little spark is a yes! Your spark was always enough. Put mine together with yours and we'll get a good one going. Yes, after a day of the surf and talking to God and each other, yelling our hurrahs and praises as the waves carry us, the water speaking it's liquid love as well, even though it can turn on us at any moment...

We'll build a fire from our eyes, Babe. (Not Baby, never Baby. You made that clear long ago, but that's part of the reason why I love you so much 'cause who'd want to kiss someone they call Baby anyway? Isn't that a little weird?)

We'll sing love songs to each other and to the one that made us possible and lift our eyes to the heavens. Hold each other and whisper grace to calm our beating eardrums along with the sound of the waves coming ashore.

Travelers we'll be. The walking wounded going to reclaim ourselves amongst the breakers, careening through the endless blue. We need this, to be released for awhile. He'll bring us back. You know he understands.

That's it! We're going!

Now kiss me we're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment